The USPS® 2023 Emerging and Advanced Technology (EAT) promotion encourages mailers to blend the familiarity of the physical mailpiece with the possibilities of new and emerging technologies. This year, there is an increase in the percentage of discount that mailers are eligible to receive. Explore how you can integrate intriguing mobile and home technologies into your mailpieces with the Emerging and Advanced Technology Promotion.
Promotion Registration: March 15, 2023 – November 30, 2023
Promotion Dates: May 1, 2023 – November 30, 2023
Discount: 3-4% of eligible postage for First-Class Mail® letters, cards and flats; USPS Marketing Mail® letters and flats; Nonprofit USPS Marketing Mail letters and flats
Promotion Updates for 2023
In 2023, two major updates were made to the available technologies and discount tiers. There are two tiers of discounts available depending on the technology, categorized as Emerging Technologies and Enhanced Emerging Technologies. Both tiers have seen an increase from 2022; Emerging Technologies now qualifies for a 3% discount, and Enhanced Emerging Technologies qualifies for a 4% discount.
Aside from the increase in available discounts, the second most notable change for the EAT promotion in 2023 was the absorption of the once standalone, Mobile Shopping promotion. The Mobile Shopping promotion is now listed under the umbrella of the EAT promotion and is eligible for a 3% discount. Mailers can include a special QR code, Digital Watermark or Image Recognition technology to make it even easier for recipients to shop right from their smart device. For more details on what qualifies for the Mobile Shopping subset and what does not, please visit this helpful guide from the USPS here.
There are eight ways to enhance the recipients “realities,” expanding the ways that recipients can interact with a mailpiece.
- “Enhanced” Augmented Reality (AR) – show real world objects using 3D digital images. AR is an interactive experience that depicts real world objects which are enhanced digitally using 3D technology in a physical world. In order to qualify for the promotion, the AR must include 3D elements, images, or modules and some sort of animation or an interplay between the physical (mailpiece) and the digital that actively incorporates the user’s perspective.
- Basic Integration with Voice Assistant – use basic voice commands. Basic Integration with Voice Assistant requires utilizing voice technology that makes use of existing search functionality and capability, as the voice assistant can perform these tasks naturally. The mailpiece must give specific instructions directing recipients to use a voice prompt to deliver a consistent targeted response or action through a voice device.
- Mobile Shopping – include a QR code on your mailpiece to encourage online shopping.
- Advanced Integration with Voice Assistant – create custom voice commands to deliver unique user experiences. The mailpiece must include the use of pre-built or customized skills or actions developed using device toolkits like Alexa Skill Kit (ASK) for Alexa devices or Google Console for Google Assistant, etc.
- Video in Print Technology (VIP) – create a mailable, interactive video experience. A playable video screen is integrated into printed material such as print catalogs or mailpieces.
- Near Field Communication (NFC) – chip enabled mailpiece. The user initiates an interactive experience by touching a smartphone or tablet to the NFC embedded item, or by placing the device in proximity to the NFC chip.
- Mixed Reality (MR) – blend physical and virtual spaces. MR merges both augmented and virtual experiences through a combined immersive technology that can include sight, sound, and touch.
- Virtual Reality (VR) – create replicas of an environment, real or simulated, that include a user’s physical presence and artificially create sensory experiences, which can include sight, touch, and hearing.
2023 USPS Promotions and Incentives Updates from Tension
Two-Page Overview of the USPS 2023 Promotions
More Details about the USPS 2023 Promotions and Incentives
Be sure to check full program requirements here. The USPS gives all final approvals and including one of the design elements mentioned above does not automatically qualify you for the promotions. You can also consult the USPS for full details on the Emerging and Advanced Technology promotion at MSSC@USPS.gov.
A Tension Sales expert can help you explore how to incorporate the USPS 2023 Emerging and Advanced Technology promotion in your next mailing. Contact us to start the conversation today.
*All approvals must come from the USPS. The information presented here is for illustrative purposes only.