April 18, 2016
FTA 2016 Excellence in Flexography Awards Showcase Quality and Ingenuity Of Tension Envelopes
Kansas City, Mo. – The Flexographic Technical Association (FTA) recently recognized Tension Corporation for its expertise and print quality in flexographic printing. Tension took home three FTA 2016 Excellence in Flexography Awards, including two gold awards in the envelope category.
This year, the FTA presented 110 awards to the best of the best, including 38 gold awards, 36 silver awards, 34 bronze awards, a self promotion award and a special achievement award. Eleven of these awards were in the envelope division.
Entries were judged on:
- Level of execution: Judges looked at image sharpness, ink coverage, registration, dot/screen/vignette and consistency.
- Degree of difficulty: Entries were graded on substrate printability/ink compatibility, registration tolerances, plate/printing complexity, fineness of print or screen, tonal range and defect detectability.
“For years, Tension has been honored by the Flexographic Technical Association for our quality work and envelope craftsmanship,” said Lonnie Robinson, Director of Engineering for Tension Corporation and a member of the FTA’s Excellence in Flexography Awards Committee. “This third-party validation of our team’s ingenuity and dedication to providing customers with the best product possible continues to spur us on.”
Tension’s three award-winning envelopes included:
- Thank God for The Salvation Army Envelope – Gold Award in Envelope, Screen, Uncoated Paper
- Aunt Martha’s Iron-on Transfers Envelope – Gold Award in Envelope, Line, Uncoated Paper
- Thank God for The Salvation Army Envelope – Silver Award in Envelope, Line, Uncoated Paper
Winners in the “Line, Uncoated Paper” category demonstrated excellence in the quality of coverage for solid colors and cleanliness of type. The winning entry for Aunt Martha’s Iron-on Transfers overcame a registration challenge presented by the use of a red handle and created a clean solid on what judges called a “difficult substrate.”
Likewise, in the “Screen” category, Tension’s winning envelope showed exceptional print quality and cleanliness of the screens. Judges commented that Tension’s envelope for The Salvation Army “had some very tight registration elements on multiple colors along with holding small reverses cleanly open.”
A long-time leader in print quality, Tension has consistently received FTA awards for its flexographic printing.
Tension Corporation, a privately owned and operated company based in Kansas City, Missouri, is a global leader in envelope products and packaging & automation solutions. The envelope division serves a wide variety of industries including financial, insurance and direct marketing, and works with third party providers directly. Founded in 1886, Tension produces billions of envelopes annually and has regional plants and offices throughout the country and the world. Visit www.tensionenvelope.com for more information.